Healthy Slow Cooker Banana Bread with Chocolate Chunks
A healthier version of a classic banana bread using healthy ingredients, it’s the slowed cooked banana bread!
If you love banana bread, but prefer to cut down on the flour and sugars involved, this is going to be right up your street! If Christmas was your own personal face stuffing festival and you’re still craving the sweet stuff, this is your answer. The majority of the ingredients are usual cupboard fillers too, so you will probably only need to buy one or two of the required ingredients. Everything involved is simple, affordable, and most importantly, pretty bloody healthy in comparison.
Regular banana bread nutrition
I serving of regular banana bread has 11 grams of fat, 3.3 grams of saturated fat & 12.4 grams of sugars (same as a can of coke!)
Slower cooker banana bread nutrition
1 serving has 5 grams of fat, 1.2 grams of saturated fat &4 grams of sugar! See what happens when you just substitute a few ingredients! When you substitute out some of the calorie and fat dense ingredients such as butter flour you can add more yummy things like chocolate chips!
Things I’ve found over and over again throughout the batches is the best banana bread is made from extremely overripe bananas. Not super revolutionary, but I’ve used bananas before they are not at their prime over-ripeness and the bread is far less sweet, moist, and delicious. The favourite slower cooker banana bread has been when the bananas skins were pretty much completely black. This is when the bananas are at their absolute sweetest and you taste it in the bread!
For a few slower cooker banana breads I’ve tried, I sped up the ripening process which also made for some delicious bananas. It’s so easy to do this! Take some regular bananas, place them on a tray, and then bake them for 7-8 minutes in a pre-heated 350 degrees F oven. The skins turn a black and then you know they are ready!
One of my favourite parts of this recipe is the slow cooker! It’s so easy to throw it all in stir and turn the slow cooker on and walk away. Don’t worry about burning it! I usually throw the slow cooker in an oven for 15 minutes with some desiccated coconut to create a crispy top.
One of our favourite ways to serve this slowed cooked banana bread is with cottage cheese and honey on it, it bloody amazing! Otherwise, we have been known to slather it in salted caramel almond butter or coconut cashew butter, might put the oven on now and brown up some bananas!
Slower Cooker Healthy Banana Bread
Delicious, healthy & easy banana bread in your slow cooker!
- 3 large Bananas with black spots
- 50g Honey (optional)
- 1 cup of oats
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Pinch of Ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- Grated zest of 1/2 orange *
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped chocolate
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- Use a large bowl for the mixing of the ingredients. Peel and slice the bananas, and using a fork, mash to a paste.
- Add the honey, nutmeg, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda, eggs, chocolate, vanilla extract and orange zest. If you’re more of a lemon lover, substitute the orange peel for the same amount of lemon zest. Both taste delicious depending on which you prefer more!
- Spoon the mixture into slow cooker
- Set on high for 3 hours (longer if you like a softer consistency).
- Stir occasionally, it will stick too much to the sides if you do not.
- Once the oats are cooked, use a potato masher to smash the bananas in smaller chunks.
- Put the oven on 200 degrees
- Cover the banana bread with coconut
- Bake for 15 minutes until the top is caramalised
- Serve immediately or let cool and store in the fridge for up to one week. This also freezes very well!
By The Nut Butter Hub
The Nut Butter Hub http://thenutbutterhub.com/
- Garlic, Mozzarella, Feta & Pesto Pull Apart Bread
- Honey Bells, Tangelo or Minneola Tangelo? Expand Your Fruit Horizons
- Creamy Avocado Ranch Dressing
- Try Butternut Squash Coconut Rice Pudding Right Meow!
- Healthy Slow Cooker Banana Bread with Chocolate Chunks
- Roast Pumpkin, Avocado & Feta with Black Bean Spaghetti
- Sweet Potato Scones, Yes That Actually Is A Thing Now!
- Does Pip & Nut Coconut Almond Butter live up too the hype?
- How To Keep Your Recipes Organised
- Chocolate Quinoa Mug Cake – A Gluten Free Chocolate Cake